Dunedin History

[et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”][et_pb_row column_structure=”1_3,1_3,1_3″ _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”][et_pb_column type=”1_3″ _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”][et_pb_text _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”]


[/et_pb_text][et_pb_image src=”https://lifelogs.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Screen-Shot-2021-04-04-at-2.30.39-PM.png” title_text=”Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 2.30.39 PM” _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”][/et_pb_image][et_pb_text _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”]

Dunedin was founded in 1848, and by 1860 it was still a small town with fewer than 2000 people. But after gold was discovered nearby in 1861 the population grew quickly and Dunedin was soon transformed into the largest and wealthiest city in the country, and from the late 19th century onwards stained glass windows became a feature of many of the large houses and mansions being built around the city.


[/et_pb_text][et_pb_image src=”https://lifelogs.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/DSC_93601.jpg” title_text=”DSC_9360″ _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”1_3″ _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”][et_pb_text _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”]

Robert Fraser

[/et_pb_text][et_pb_image src=”https://lifelogs.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/RWM_SWeStJohnWespt_FVE002__DSC8238Web.jpg” title_text=”St John’s Anglican Church Lyndhurst ST Wesport – 1 Ellis – 1 Bunton and one probably BSB” _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”][/et_pb_image][et_pb_text _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”]

Robert Fraser was a pioneer of stained glass in New Zealand and glazed many mansions around Dunedin as well as designing and executing church windows all over the country. Later in life, Robert Fraser worked next door to Oswell Miller, who in 1943 bought Fraser’s business and the kiln which he had built and patented.  It was Fraser who inspired and initially taught Roy Miller the art of stained glass.

Read more here

[/et_pb_text][et_pb_image _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”1_3″ _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”][et_pb_text _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”]

John Brock

[/et_pb_text][et_pb_image src=”https://lifelogs.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Brock_scans_JBrockGrandson021EdW.jpg” title_text=”John Brock, – material borrowed fromo John Brock’s grandson also called John Brock -Auckland – Nov 2015″ _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”][/et_pb_image][et_pb_text _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”]

John Brock was one of the most prolific stained glass window designers in New Zealand, designing and painting more than 300 stained glass windows in his lifetime. Born in London, at the age of 15 he began a seven year apprenticeship with James Powell & Sons, and was taught drawing, design and perspective. In 1913 he worked in Melbourne, then in 1914 he moved to Dunedin to work for Smith & Smith Ltd.

Read more here

[/et_pb_text][et_pb_image src=”https://lifelogs.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Brock_32Tweed_Hudson__DSC7063EdW.jpg” title_text=”32 Tweed St – House belonged to William Hudson – later Eion Edgar and now Kerrie & Andrew Waterworth. Filled with lots of window all made by John Brock. 8 Musicians int he roof .” _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]